Capture Stunning Shots Of Landscapes Today !
Greetings ! I hope you all are doing well.
Today, I'm gonna share some tips on taking photos of landscapes. I learned most of these as I took hundreds of photos over the few years.
- Camera - Playing around with different shutter speeds, apertures, white balance selections etc, can give you a lot of different results, producing a range of photos to select from in post-production. Also, changing the photo orientation could lead to surprisingly great outcomes.
TIP : Slower shutter speeds could blur your oceans, while faster ones would capture the splashes.
- Scene - Changing the positions of the subject(s) and/or items in the foreground, background and the frame, could hugely make or break your photograph.
TIP : Use rocks and trees/branches to frame your shots of the ocean, or use them as defocused foreground items, to allow your subject to stand out.
Even MORE Tips:
- There's no doubt that shooting through the magic or golden hours of day are perfect for landscapes. I love shooting from about 5pm through 7pm, which is not exactly an hour, but is still great light. Bonus: If shooting very early in the morning, or late at night, using a slow shutter speed (a few minutes) is a great technique. It allows the sun or stars to beautifully paint/light up your shot. Patience is key here !
- Capturing movement creates drama and mood in the photograph; whether it be trees swaying or water flowing over the waterfall.
- Horizons are great, no kidding, but different angles are cool too ! Think layers : hills, rocks.
I have always loved shooting landscapes, mostly because you can make so many different, but subtle adjustments to get that perfect shot. Also, this is very calming, especially when water is involved (waterfall, beach, rivers, lakes). I mostly use my kit lens : EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM to shoot landscapes.
Please try a few (or all) or these out and leave feedback in the comments or share/tag me in a photo you took using these. You can also contact me very easily on my Facebook page, Twitter or Instagram ! I'd LOVE to hear from you.
Twitter/IG : @MaryseSMarius
Thanks for reading.